Sunday 3 November 2013

Back from London

Sooo.. I'm back in Sheffield after an amazing week (or just over, rather, since I went on Thursday rather than Saturday) in London! I know it's said all too often about trips away from home - and probably sounds totally cheesy - but I really did feel pretty down about having to come home. It sounds awful, saying it like that, and I don't mean it to be that negative - I am happy to be home with my family and my pigdogs - but I really am going to miss being there. There was so much to do and see - even though the crowds irritated me and the contrast between the people up north and in London was a bit of a shock. Not going to lie - I really missed Yorkshire accents! I can't imagine it being long until I'm back though - I miss Nick already and I've not been away from him more than 7 hours... What a sap!


Anyway, I better recap a little. I managed to coerce Nick successfully into doing some super touristy stuff while I was there - which I think he found a little frustrating at time but he was very good at putting up with me while I ran around taking [far too many] pictures!


At the British Museum - was loving the architecture and sculpture - will fit in nicely with my research for contextual studies at college!

If I had the money, I would've bought out the entire gift shop - including the premature Christmas tree. Check out the front cover of the custom bound copy of the Hobbit in bottom right corner - so gorgeous!

These photos are a really large shopping list for the future, when: a] I'm insanely rich, b] I have a very large house, c] can get away with running off with museum exhibits without being arrested, d] all of the previous options

Also managed to visit Hyde Park and Buckingham Palace. Don't get me wrong - the palace is an impressive building - but I much preferred the architectural style of the British Museum. Not terribly fond of blocky buildings - sorry Queeny! I did rather like your gate posts though!

Another tourist-trap, I guess, but definitely one of my favourite places that Nick and I visited - Chinatown! It was getting dark by the time we got there, and with all the lights on it was practically fantastical. The lanterns hanging between the buildings were stunning! The only issue I had at the time was the fact that we were absolutely starving as we walked through - with the sheer amount of restaurants flaunting food at us from both sides, it was a tortuous journey!



Then, of course, there was Halloween, which I was both excited and apprehensive about - mainly due to the fact that my costume went to my home address rather than Nick's house, and so had to be sent back down to London (I was so worried it wouldn't arrive in time!) but also partly because I've never been away from home properly during Halloween. And also a little bit because I didn't get to dress my dogs up, but I probably shouldn't admit to that!

Our pumpkins! Mine was the grumpy cat one, and a for a first attempt at carving a pumpkin on all on my tod, I'm pretty pleased!

And our costumes - zombie prom queen and scary jester. :-) So proud of my makeup - on both me and Nick - that rigid collodion FX makeup was so fun to play with! I also need to take a moment to say how awesome that rose crown is - I bought it from Paradise Shore on etsy and they shipped it to me super quick. It's stunning! 

Yay! 

Last but not least.. we went to the Blackheath fireworks display. Got there early (with a few beers in hand...) to make sure we got a good view (the crowds got pretty crazy!) and very nearly froze to death during the wait. It was so worth it though!



2 comments :

  1. So pleased you enjoyed your trip to London. I lived there for a couple of years when I was a little younger than you and I just love the museums and gallery's. When are you going back?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gorgeous - the museums are amazing! Haven't been to any galleries yet but will probably get next time I'm there. Hoping to go back down for a weekend in a couple of weeks to stay with Nick - he's living in Leytonstone while he's at uni. Been looking at applying for the university of arts London as well, their illustration course at Camberwell college is amazing! Will definitely come see you all for a catch up soon! xxxx

      Delete