Tuesday 19 August 2014

Fresh Mint Tea!

Eeek, I really do need to start updating this poor blog more - it's getting so neglected! In all honesty, I've not had much motivation to post recently, despite the fact that so much has happened since my last entry. I keep meaning to--  but then stuff happens, and then more stuff happens.. and I just totally forget.

This past couple of weeks I've had a really nasty cold that unfortunately developed into a full-blown chest infection and ended up setting off my chronic Tietze syndrome - which was a massive pain in the arse (and, well, the chest.) To try and pick myself up, I made some fresh tea from the abundance of mint taking over the garden. I love mint tea but have been finding the dried stuff a bit too scratchy on my poorly throat, so I wondered if fresh was any better. It really was!

A good handful of fresh mint - not just the leaves but the stems too - cut about 4 inches down from the top of each stem. Make sure to rinse it all thoroughly if it's from the garden! It wouldn't harm to wash if you're buying fresh either. :)

Pour in your boiling water. I didn't measure how much I put in - just filled the cup as I would an ordinary tea. You do want the majority to be submerged, though. Leave it to brew for around five minutes so that the flavour is absorbed, and also so that it cools - I didn't have the patience on this part and managed to burn my tongue, which was a bit of a downer!

After five minutes... drink up and enjoy! As you can see in the picture above, it goes the most incredibly vibrant green colour -- and the smell! Yum. It's naturally a sweeter tea than most, but if you like your drinks super-sweet, a teaspoon of sugar (or half, I find is enough for me) or honey goes down very nicely. I'm also keen on trying this with a slice of lemon - I imagine it would taste lovely!

No comments :

Post a Comment